Pageviews past week

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

10

Arco, Idaho 1963
When I was 10 my brother John had a darkroom in the corner of our windowless basement (where incidentally my sister Norma and I headquartered--straight out of Dickens, but we were happy there).  Save for what he processed there, we might have had no pictures at all.  This is my 10 year old world--bike, Schwartzie dog, pixie haircut, and a carefree grin.  What you can't see is the canal east of here where I spent 4 trillion hours playing Lewis and Clark with my best friend, Gail, who lives in the background.  I wrote about all of this in my autobiography a few years ago.  Something else you can't see are the hepatitis bacteria festering inside my liver (we had an outbreak in my school).  Shortly after this picture I became very very ill, landed in a hospital for a week, and spent the next 4 months in bed.
My family (geekiness is always optional, but I seemed to choose it over and over and over...)
 
At 10 my parents had this professional photo taken.  My uncle Orson painted my portrait in oils from this.  Don't worry about that daisy.  It's a sticker.
 
My brother John, seven years my elder.  He's exploring geezer territory and writing a travel guide for my trip there.  Currently he and his wife Marilyn have taken up residency in Beijing.  I hope my geezer path takes me there as well.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, you look just like that photo of you on the bike at 10! I love it. It's been great hearing your 60th year plans. I hope you live blog the Appalachian Trail hike.

Shelly said...

I had no idea about the 60 days of no sugar and the 60 days of perfectly clean house!! Those ones would be kicking my butt.

Tracy Giles said...

I love the pictures!

Patti said...

The pictures were great! I agree with Michelle, you haven't chanced a lick since that picture on the bike. Nice!

Favorite books

  • Me 'n Steve
  • Thundering Sneakers
  • James Herriott's vet books
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Travels with Charley
  • A Walk in the Woods
  • Peace Like a River
  • The Egg and I
  • Mary Poppins
  • Extremly Loud Incredibly Close
  • How Green Was my Valley