This may not strike some of you as unusual--maybe every day is like this for you. Jerry and I worked like DOGS (actually the only one around here who didn't WAS the dog, so where did that saying come from anyway?) mowing and weeding and tiling and digging dandelions and moving huge piles of construction garbage and watering and burning. We worked from sun up til sundown and I'm beat. I'm aching and dirty. But we stood out there in our pasture as the sun set and hummed a little bit of "This Land is Mine. God Gave this Land to Me", and it was like we'd stepped back a century. Forgive my sentimentality, but those were my musings. Would that the work were all done now. I'd say we probably have an entire summer of such Saturdays and well into the fall...ugh.
Friday, June 13, 2008
Here's a random picture of my siblings and myself at my daughter's wedding in Logan. We're a motley crew. If you look really closely you can see the spirit faces of our mom and dad in the bricks because they were there too. John, Norma, and Nancy. We look pretty happy, huh?
Here are twenty things that may surprise you about me even if you think you know me:
1. I usually read between 15 and 20 books at a time.
2. I have NOT read past the third Harry Potter book--go ahead, kick me.
3. I have lost a toenail every summer for the last 6 years due to hiking extravaganza gone wild.
4. I don't drink milk.
5. I've only been REALLY lost once.
6. I feel about 16 inside. The graying temples and neck thing REALLY throw me off!
7. I have a recurring dream and wouldn't you like to know what it is????
8. I have been in love 6 times.
9. Once I slammed my glasses down into the bathtub because I was mad. Then I told my mom they "fell off my nose." Do you think they have internet in heaven so I can finally settle this with my mom?
10. Once I backed our Subaru into a tree but I told my husband, "Wow, I don't know WHERE that dent came from."
11. I have never ever cheated but as just admitted (#'s 9 and 10) I have lied.
12. I was a chronic hitchhiker one summer in my Jackson Hole days. During one of those escapades I rode in a car for about 3 hours seated between two guys from New Mexico, and I think that it was probably marijuana that I passed back and forth to them. Naiive. Dumb. Lucky to still be alive. Fun?........
13. After all this time I STILL can't do my hair.
14. I've watched Anne of Green Gables probably 62 times, and I still cry when Gilbert touches Anne's hair and calls her "Carrots".
15. A good percentage of the gifts I give originate at thrift stores, but I make sure they are impecably imperceptable as such.
16. I sang "You Can't Get a Man With a Gun" at the top of my lungs when I was on the riding lawn mower the other night.
17. I really want some chickens.
18. When I'm all alone, I waste vast vast amounts of time and then feel shabbily about it.
19. I will walk across huge cities for a perfect macaroon.
20. In my previous life I lived in Manhattan. I think I made jewelry down in Soho, but that part is still unclear. Now I'm working out some bad Karma in seventh grade.
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Fueled by a million created wings of fire the rocket tore a tunnel through the sky and everybody cheered.
Fueled only by the mystery of warm, most soil, and a beckoning sun, the seedling urged its way through the thickness of black--
And as it pierced the heavy ceiling of soil and launched itself up into outer space-no one even cheered. --Marcie Hans