- each child pulled their own carry on
- the 3-ish year old in the stroller calmly played with a hand-held electronic something or other
- the father engaged in pleasant conversation with several around him
- the mother passed hand signals to her husband and children which they immediately interpreted and obeyed
- no one whined
- the two brothers joked around a little, obviously delighted in each other
- the father joined in their laughter
- ALL were interested and engaged in the experience
- they had obviously done this before--pro's
- they seemed to glow
Then later in the day on yet another bus to long-term parking in Salt Lake I couldn't help but hear another conversation. One woman was describing to another an encounter with the mother of what sounded to be the stepchild of the narrator. The mother had shown up at a doctor's appointment for the child that morning dressed in short black shorts, a lime green tank top with hot pink underthings showing through large holes. She had silver jewel-studded boots and was garishly make-upped as well. The gist of the story involved negligent diabetes monitoring of the child on custodial weekends and huge denial on the part of the mother. The stepmother telling the story was just beside herself. Furthermore, the clueless mother is now working for her attorney! That doesn't sound good for the child, the father OR the stepmother! Little human dramas all around us.
So if I zoom in on strangers' conversations, and follow people with my eyes, and know way too much about intimate details of lives I'll never cross again...what is that called???? And if you say "busybody" I'll never talk to you again.