Pageviews past week

Monday, August 31, 2009

Visiting "Mecca"


And as the sun slowly sinks into the west bringing this summer to a screaming halt, we pause to reflect, reminisce, and wonder "Just why has it taken me 56 years to make it to the SPAM Museum?" A mere 20 miles off the main drag to Minneapolis. Austin--peaceful little Mayberryesque town. And nestled right in the middle (in what used to be a K-mart) sits Hormel's 15,000 square foot homage to all that is good and decent about modern civilization...the SPAM Museum. Was the highlight learning that SPAM pretty much won WWII for us? The gripping 14 minute movie history? Margaret Thatcher admittedly serving it to diplomats for tea? Actual letters from presidents of the United States thanking Hormel for improving international relations? Burns and Allen TV ads? The SPAM Tower? A darn tooting cute puppet show--"This is Your Life, SPAM" featuring a can of SPAM on a couch? A heart-stopping gift shop?..look for the debut of my SPAM rain poncho! Or the diminuative white-haired Aunt Bea-esque relic who walked around with a tempting tray of sample chunks of warm SPAM speared with a pretzel? I'm voting the SPAM Museum my number one summer pick of truly novel experiences. Go. Put Paris and the Grand Canyon on the back burner for now. Embrace your inner SPAMman. And no it does NOT contain all the toxic waste dump ingredients we all thought it did. Nasty viscious rumors one and all! Just some pork shoulder, salt, nitrates, and water. As American (AND Healthy!) as American pie. Or so said Monty Python...

7 comments:

Laura said...

So here's my confession. I've never eaten SPAM before. Gasp!

I do have a SPAM memory, though. LEAP Yellowstone Trip circa 1992. One of the advisors wore a SPAM shirt the first day and everyone called him SPAM the whole trip. To this day, I have no idea what his actual name is.

Tracy Giles said...

I don't think I have ever had Spam either. I'm pretty sure I don't ever want to :) That video was really funny!

Season said...

By golly I think I've been converted. Well, to at least go visit the museum. And a rain poncho??? I'm oozing with envy right now.

Mad Hadder said...

Laura, that was Brian Rowland! I still call him "Spam".

Shelly said...

Thanks for the info. Did not know that that was all that was in SPAM. Glad you had a good time for it to be your all time summer favorite!

Mad Hadder said...

Truly novel experience does not say that it was the summer's BEST experience.

Malsy (THE Moe of DMOE) said...

so spam, tomato and creamy cucumber dressing sandwiches were all we ate when we were camping. Yummy memories- but I don't think I have touched it since!

Just read "The Guernsey Potato Peel Pie and Literary Society" (YOUUU MUSSST READ IF YOU HAVENT!!!!!) and one of the things listed in the Red Cross Rescue rations was SPAM! So I totally caught the WWII reference!

Wanna go someday!!!

Favorite books

  • Me 'n Steve
  • Thundering Sneakers
  • James Herriott's vet books
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Travels with Charley
  • A Walk in the Woods
  • Peace Like a River
  • The Egg and I
  • Mary Poppins
  • Extremly Loud Incredibly Close
  • How Green Was my Valley