Pageviews past week

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Sweeping Up

Legal Disclaimer:  No brooms or mops were harmed in the photography for this blogpost.


Do you remember one of the closing scenes in Fiddler on the Roof when they must leave Anatevka?  Golda slips back into their cottage at the last moment to "sweep up".  She just can't leave without doing that.


That kind of sentiment is not lost on me.


I have no explanation for why I needed to come clear to China to  discover that I truly feel so passionately about mops and brooms.


But I did.


Number of pictures taken of my Swiffer at home:  0.


But in China...


I


find


mops and brooms


completely irresistible.




Whether they're resting in bamboo,


or trying to "work it" in a market,


or just valiantly striving to clean up China,


they are charming


humble, and


completely photogenic to me.


And for that,


I have



no explanation.


If I approach it philosophically,


perhaps I, like Golda,


feel the need to calmly perform routine rituals before the cosmic door closes. (gasp!!  Is Madd speaking euphemistically about death???  How dark!!  She's losing it!!!)


Or maybe they are just plain beautiful.


2 comments:

Shelly said...

Um. I have no words. To each her own, I guess. I'll admit, you had me somewhat enthralled with them when we were there. I even found myself snapping shots of them for you.

Patti said...

I think it's because the brooms are so cool looking, and the mops are such a wide variety of styles and colors. I couldn't help noticing that the boy was irresistibly drawn to a mop the same color as the trim on his coat, and his shoelaces. Must be off - I feel the urge to sweep!

Favorite books

  • Me 'n Steve
  • Thundering Sneakers
  • James Herriott's vet books
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Travels with Charley
  • A Walk in the Woods
  • Peace Like a River
  • The Egg and I
  • Mary Poppins
  • Extremly Loud Incredibly Close
  • How Green Was my Valley