Pageviews past week

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Sleep Issues

I'm sleep challenged lately.  Too many time zone shifts in too short of time.  I've tried to compensate for lack of sleep by taking luxurious naps in the afternoon, but that isn't the answer.  Here I am up again since midnight, and it's time for the sun to come up--after 5.  I'm foggy but not tired.  Fortunately, amazon prime keeps me company--the story of a charismatic gal who fabricates the story of her survival in the Twin Towers on 9/11.  She had EVERYONE snookered and even became a survivor spokesperson who led tours and posed with mayors and governors.  Probably a sociopath.  Then I picked up my knitting and finished some more gnome parts while I watched the very touching and inspiring story of Sam, a victim of progenia--pre-mature aging syndrome.  Sam was born to a wonderful pair of physicians.  His mother founded a research organization for the disease--what a gal.  She conducted a drug trial and was doggedly persistent in getting it published.  And I'm snacking on peanuts, cashews, and jellybellies out of a small measuring cup.  The apartment is silent of course--too quiet for sleeping obviously.  mmm.....ho de humhumhum.  No one thinks of the downside of traveling across the planet when they plan trips.  I certainly didn't.  I usually adapt in a day or two.  We didn't miss a beat going to and coming home from Italy.  I struggled for about six days in MD, but then the infant baby there changed that dynamic. This is getting old this time.  I also seem to have lost my insomnia-induced quippiness.  I'm not quippy at all.  Rather boring.  What good is a late night blogging if you can't even be entertaining?  None at all.  The little blue OTC pills seem to have no effect.  I try counting all manner of objects.  The memory game I sometimes use has been ineffective as well.  I am worrying about a few things, and therein lies the rub.  You can't sleep the sleep of the restful if you are not restful.  Almost 6.

Favorite books

  • Me 'n Steve
  • Thundering Sneakers
  • James Herriott's vet books
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Travels with Charley
  • A Walk in the Woods
  • Peace Like a River
  • The Egg and I
  • Mary Poppins
  • Extremly Loud Incredibly Close
  • How Green Was my Valley