Pageviews past week

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Entrepreneurs

In the past four months or so I've been teaching 6th, 7th, and 8th graders (about 60 of them totalled) about money--how to make/manage it. Ha ha hee hee. I hear titters. What qualifies me for that??? Absolutely nothing. Nevertheless and notwithstanding we studied entrepreneurship for 25 minutes a day, thunk up multiple money-making plans, AND participated in two Entrepreneur Fairs held at our school!! The fruit of our efforts was kids selling jewelry, hair bows, gourmet dog treats, Korean penny candy, jerky, marshmallow guns, wooden bookshelves (made from free scraps), used books, movie posters (once again Free from the attic of the local theatre), caramel apples, homemade lollipops, nachos, taquitoes, homemade salsa, Heart Attack kits (locker decorations for Valentine's Day), magnets, pizza, and candy. One enterprising kid set up a sign that he would do "Small Engine Repair", but I'm not too sure he got many takers. The second fair which we held two weeks ago brought in close to $500!!! Lots of good grandma and grandpa support as you can imagine. Now I'm teaching 20 kids to knit. We won't have a fair. We'll be lucky if we generate a couple of knitted beanies. But never EVER doubt that a good time is being had by all...

1 comment:

Laura said...

This post makes me wish I was in middle school again.

Who ever thought those words would come out of my mouth?!

Favorite books

  • Me 'n Steve
  • Thundering Sneakers
  • James Herriott's vet books
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Travels with Charley
  • A Walk in the Woods
  • Peace Like a River
  • The Egg and I
  • Mary Poppins
  • Extremly Loud Incredibly Close
  • How Green Was my Valley